The W.H. Stark House Remains Open During Exterior Painting Project

ORANGE, Texas, May 16, 2008 – Visitors remain welcome for guided tours at The W.H. Stark House despite the maintenance project that is in progress on the exterior of the House. Weather permitting, the 100-day exterior painting project will be complete by mid-August.

“Even though scaffolding has been placed around The W.H. Stark House for an exterior painting project, the interior of the Stark House continues to be open for guided tours and for all visitors who wish to enjoy the history and culture of another era,” said Patsy Herrington, Director of The W.H. Stark House.

The house is hand-painted every five to six years using a special mix of colors to match the original paint color of the structure, which was built in 1894. A crew of eight painters from Lange Brothers, Inc., located in Port Arthur, Texas, is painting the Stark House and the adjacent Carriage House. This is the fifth time Lange Brothers, Inc. has been selected for the project.

All tours begin at the entrance through the Carriage House at 610 Main Avenue. Regular admission for a full tour of the House is $5 per adult (ages 18-64) and $2 per senior ages 65 and older and per youth ages 10-17. The Stark House is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

For more information on The W.H. Stark House or to make a tour reservation, call 409.883.0871 or visit www.whstarkhouse.org.

For a full-size image file please contact Dawn Stout at 409.882.4906 or dawn.stout@imaginuity.com

About The W.H. Stark House

The W.H. Stark House is a Victorian landmark in Orange, Texas, which has been restored to its original splendor.

The 14,000 square-foot home was completed in 1894 in Orange, Texas by William Henry Stark and his wife, Miriam M. Lutcher Stark, prominent philanthropists who occupied the home until 1936. Designed in the Queen Anne architectural style, the house features a distinctive turret, stained glass windows, and ornate woodwork in cypress and long leaf yellow pine.

Today, the three-story structure stands much as it did at the turn of the 20th century, with fifteen rooms of original family furnishings, personal effects and decorative arts, including antique rugs, original textiles, silver, cut glass and antique porcelain. Also featured are the Stark family’s impressive collections of American Brilliant Period cut glass, pressed and pattern glass, milk glass, porcelains, and other 18th and 19th century decorative accessories. The interior of both The W.H. Stark House and its adjacent Carriage House depicts the home life of the Starks in the early 1900s and provides an extraordinary statement of Texas’ social history.

The W.H. Stark House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and designated as a Record Texas Historic Landmark by the Texas Historical Commission. It is operated as a program of the Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation, a private operating foundation established in 1961 by H.J. Lutcher Stark, the only surviving child of Miriam M. and W.H. Stark.